Thursday, January 10, 2008

Great PowersGame Debrief

My country was Japan. In the beginning of building our empire it felt very slow. Eventually, we started to get our empire more resources. At the start of the game, the country with the most advantages was the U.S. because they had the most resources. Japan was smaller than most of the other countries so we did not have as many resources such as allies, money, and armies. For my country I think it was important to buy armies and colonies. First, the armies in case another country decided to attack us. Second, I would buy the colonies because the more colonies you have the richer you are. We did very well in getting colonies. The one thing I would have done differently was to buy more armies and navies for the wars that went on against us. Instead of just using our allies’ armies and navies we could have used our own. Our alliances were powerful and helpful. The ally that helped us the most was the U.S. Most of our alliances could be trusted very well.


I learned many things about conflicts in the simulation but I will only write about a few. First, I would say that your allies can be a big help if you’re truthful to them they will return the favor and trust that you will help them. Secondly, I learned that most conflicts start by different empires when they both want the same thing. The final reason that conflicts arise is because of ideology. Peoples’ opinions can get in the way and cause disagreements. In conclusion, the three main things that I learned about conflicts from this simulation would be that you should always be true to you allies and the most common reasons war arose was because of different opinions and for ideological reasons.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Melissa, I agree with things at the beggining feeling slow, my country felt slow too!

Ju said...

I agree on being loyal to your allies because the stronger friendship you had the more help you get. But I would have to disagree with the part that when you do them a favor they will always help you, because some countries although they had promised friendship with other countries often denied them. Otherwise the only thing I would improve on is the three main things that you learned about conflicts. Great job =]

Gary Coyle said...

Melissa...

Good job on getting your blog up and running. You did a good job on this post. I especially liked how you noted that, "Peoples’ opinions can get in the way and cause disagreements." Keep up the good work.